Steve's reflections on life

It never ceases to amaze me how time and space play tricks on us all! The month of May was a busy month for me and my family. My daughter, Julie, graduated from the College of Charleston; my son, Daniel, graduated the Master's program at Rutgers, and last but not least - he got married here in Charleston at Magnolia Plantation!

Now that all the "dust has settled," I can look back at these events with increased clarity. One memory that we will never forget is when my son & his bride Noor asked me to write down my thoughts about marriage so that they could be read to the guests at their wedding. I am proud to say that I have been married to my wife Amy for 28 years no - so some of these "words of wisdom" must be right!

1. Always remember to be a little kinder than you actually feel like being. It goes a long way towards having a positive impact on everyone - even yourself.
2. Remember, before you criticize others - take a good look at yourself with an unfiltered eye.
3. Always be in each-others corner!
4. Remember to ALWAYS take out the garbage and put the toilet seat down!
5. Don't wait for a holiday or birthday to do something special for each other.
6. Move away from negativity as fast as you can.
7. Don't discuss business or work and never argue before going to bed - it can always wait till the morning and by then you won't be in the mood!
8. Remember that you are an individual - keep your own interests alive.
9 ALWAYS remember to trim your nose hairs...that's important!
10. Don't turn into a goon. Try to look your best for each other, and every once in a while have a party & let loose a little. Everything in moderation including moderation!
11. Perform 6 1/2 hours of intensive yoga every day!
12. Never play twister on a steep incline!
13. Never bring your own eggs to dinner. (???)
14. Don't ever push or shove each other unless you're trying to get into a buffet line.
15. Work tirelessly for each others goals and your mutual goals.
16. Don't blame each other!!!

I think these suggestions extend past just marriage - so we're sharing with you and reminding ourselves that our family and friends can never be replaced.


No comments: